Conversation Between HiImSparky and unclevanya

2 Visitor Messages

1. Thank you for your post.

If I blamed the wrong person for the dialects and it upsets you, I apologize. If Ms. Timmerman was only invited for a few sessions and she had insufficient time with each individual actor for coaching, it was obviously the director's fault. In the end, all production problems are the director’s fault. As a critic I have only the program to guide me and have no clue as to the inner workings of the production. If Ms. Timmerman is secure in her talent then I am sure she has no problems with a bad review. Everybody gets them occasionally. Most talented theatre folk I know practically frame those bad reviews and hang them on their walls. Take a look at a book written by Diana Rigg called "No Turn Unstoned." It is a compilation of the world's best actors' worst reviews.

By the way, I am glad you made it to the Phoenix. Keep going. Go to IRT, Civic, and those independent professional productions like Durang Orama. Go to the community theatres. Bring your friends. The arts, and particularly the theatres, are in trouble and they need all the support they can get right now. I hope my reviews will make people curious about the plays and want to see for themselves and make their own decisions and, in the process, give a little money to these theatres that are dying for lack of an audience and hard economic times. And maybe the theatres themselves will take notice and realize it is going to be tough and they need to be as sharp as every other professional theatre, whether it be here or in New York, Chicago, or Milwaukee, whose Shakespeare company folded last October for lack of funds through the loss of a grant.

I wish you the best in all of your endeavors.
  2. I enjoy the refreshing honesty of your reviews. I would have to say it is on the verge of vicious at times though, and even with false provocation.

I saw Seafarer and I must say I was unimpressed with the overall performance. However I wouldn't blame the poor accents on Diane Timmerman. There is only so much a vocal coach can do, they are not miracle workers. Perhaps I am biased, she is my theatre professor, however she tells us they only had her come in 3 or 4 times. While Diane is not the pinnacle of vocal perfection, she is definitely one of the better experts in the area....

I could go on about Diane's numerous qualifications, but before laying blame on every name in the program for whatever you see wrong with a production, perhaps you could try just criticizing the production itself and not those involved personally. As a newcomer who doesn't know these people, is that really necessary?

But who am I but a lowly college theatre undergrad? You are entitled to your opinions, and I rather enjoy reading them. I just hope your reviews don't lose credibility due to a lack of respect for the people involved, or the unwillingness to identify yourself when called to do so.

Good day, and I look forward to your reviews!
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2